- Rottweilers are one of the oldest herding breeds, with a history possibly dating back to the Roman Empire.
2. The breed takes its name from the German market town of Rottweil where it served as a cattle herder.
3. Not only do Rottweilers share similar markings to the Doberman pinscher, they also both originate from Germany.
4. The Rottweiler was traditionally a docked breed until a few years ago when it became illegal to remove their tails in many parts of Europe (and other countries).
5. Rottweilers are sometimes found with white markings on their chest, which is as a result of the breed descending from the Bernese mountain dog and greater Swiss mountain dog.